Friday, December 17, 2010

Blog Entry 6-Mixed Martial Arts

Recently there has been a big uprise in people joining the sport of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA). The largest corporation that supports this sport is the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). This company, owned by Dana White, has become a multi-million, if not billion dollar company.

When you consider that they charge $44.99 for every pay per view they sell. It's no wonder how the company is so successful in producing revenue. Many people have said that MMA is going to be as big or bigger than boxing. With more, and more people becoming fans everyday it's no wonder why people think it is "the next boxing". What could be better than having the worlds best fighters in one organization competing for titles in all sorts of weight categories? 

Some of the most impressive fighters in the UFC are BJ Penn-Lightweight, Georges St. Pierre-Welterweight, Anderson Silva-Middleweight, Mauricio Rua-Light Heavyweight, and Cain Valesquez-Heavyweight. These men are all champions in their weight division. My personal favorite is Anderson Silva. His stand-up fighting skills are absolutely incredible, and his ground game is "second to none". He could very well be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. I believe that he is my favorite because of his personality. He has a relatively relaxed attitude until you get on his bad side. I enjoy watching him fight because he makes it look so easy. Dana White throws some of the best middleweights in the world, at Silva and simply nobody stands a chance. He's ridiculously fast, and has the best conditioning hands down.

I am a huge fan of MMA fighting. Since I wrestled in high school, naturally I gave it a try on an amateur level. I'm no Mui-Tai kick boxer, so my stand-up game is not too impressive. But I do have a decent ground-game. And since 90% of fights end up on the ground, I like my odds. I haven't actually fought yet, but I plan to after I get back into the gym to start training and get back in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment